Customizable link previews, effortless mentions, and more
Customizable link previews
You control how TalkJS displays link previews for URLs shared in the chat. For example, you can choose to remove previews for links that contain certain blocked words. And you can now also set whether you prefer your link previews to show up large or compact.
By default, TalkJS generates a full, large preview for any link that a user shares. However, you can also set your link previews to be more compact.
A large link preview (on the left) and a compact link preview (on the right)
If you’d like your link previews to be more compact, then you can do so by setting the
compact parameter of the
LinkPreviews components to
Mentioning someone in a chat just became more effortless. Users no longer need to manually select, or hit enter or tab to mention another user in a conversation. They can simply type
@name and once the user’s name is typed out in full, the chat auto-accepts the first remaining suggested mention.
A user is mentioned in a conversation simply by writing an
@ symbol and fully typing their name
For names that include diacritics, the user can even type the letters without diacritics, and the mention still matches.
Overview of other changes
- Added support for sending mobile push notifications using Firebase on iOS.
- Added customizable unsubscribe links to email notifications, to allow users to unsubscribe from email notifications. You can edit the link text. If you’re on the Growth or Enterprise plan, then you can also edit the style and placement of the unsubscribe links in your email theme.
- React SDK (version 0.1.6): Added an
Popup, to enable users to join a conversation as a guest.
- Changed the behavior of custom message filters and custom conversation filters. You can now also filter messages and conversations for either one custom property or another, rather than only for a combination of custom properties.
- Changed the options for selecting an emoji reaction. If there is enough space for it, selecting an emoji reaction now first shows the emoji reaction favorites bar.
- Improved stability and performance for large chats.
- Fixed a bug where selecting a conversation in which the user had a draft message would crash the chat.
- Fixed an issue where SMS notifications would not get sent for identical messages sent to the same person within a two-minute timeframe.
- Fixed an issue where push notifications were not sent for large payloads.
- Fixed an issue where
ActionButtonparams wouldn’t update when switching between conversations.
- Fixed in issue where no SVG group chat images were generated for group chats.
- Fixed a bug where, under certain conditions, the message action menu would continue to stay visible even when it wasn’t interacted with.
- REST API (version 2024-01-01): Fixed a bug related to fetching conversations for a non-existing user. Fetching a conversation for a non-existent user now returns a
HTTP 404 Not foundstatus, instead of an
HTTP 200 OKstatus.
👋 Thoughts? Questions? Get in touch.
👩🏾💻We’re hiring! Check out our jobs page.