Intuitive new dashboard, better push notification support, and more
Intuitive new dashboard
Your TalkJS dashboard has just become more intuitive to use, to get you started seamlessly.
From the dashboard, you can:
- Analyze chat usage and monitor conversation details on the Activity page.
- Update the chat UI and user permissions from the Chat UI page.
- Update browser, email, and SMS notification settings from the Notifications page.
- Create and edit custom UI themes or email themes from the Themes page.
- Finetune your app-wide settings—including security settings, localization, push notifications, and webhooks—on the Settings page.
- Get real-time insights from the Live log page.
You can now find the Roles page to create or edit user roles by clicking on ‘Edit roles’ at the top of either the Chat UI page or the Notifications page.
Better push notification support
Sending mobile push notifications with TalkJS just got easier, with support for Apple Push Notification Service (APNs) tokens and the new Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) API.
Support for APNs tokens
TalkJS now supports using stateless authentication tokens for your communication with Apple Push Notification Service (APNs). Establishing a token-based connection to APNs has several main advantages:
- You can use the same token from multiple provider servers.
- You can use one token to distribute notifications for all apps in your Apple Developer Team.
- APNs tokens don’t expire, so once you have configured them you’re all set.
You can configure APNs tokens from the Settings page of your TalkJS dashboard.
Support for new Firebase Cloud Messaging API
TalkJS now supports the newer Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) API for sending mobile push notifications.
Google has deprecated FCM legacy APIs. For push notifications to continue to work, you will need to generate and provide a service account private key at the earliest opportunity, and before 20 June 2024.
To start using the new FCM API, take the steps in the following guide: Configure Firebase Cloud Messaging.
Overview of other changes
- Added a
/batchendpoint to the REST API, which you can use to perform multiple operations at once with a single call. See: REST API Batch endpoint documentation.
- Added an option to the theme editor to allow you to customize the height of the conversation list. You can find the theme editor on the Themes page of your dashboard.
- Added the option to access the current conversation object inside the
MessageFieldtheme component in the theme editor.
- React SDK (version 0.1.4): Added a
useUnreadshook that returns conversations with unread messages, to make it easier to render a component based on the list of conversations with unread messages.
- React Native SDK (version 0.7.0): Added
onCustomConversationActionprops. These props replace the methods with the same names, which have been deprecated.
.selecton a UI now returns a promise that is resolved when a new conversation is selected.
- Deprecated the use of Apple Push Notification Service (APNs) certificates. Your configured APNs certificates will continue to work until the certificate expires. Instead of APNs certificates, you can now use APNs tokens.
- Deprecated legacy themes with limited CSS support. To change the look and feel of TalkJS to match your style, use custom themes instead.
SelectConversationEvent.others. Instead, use
- React Native SDK (version 0.7.0): Deprecated the
offmethod in both
- React Native SDK (version 0.7.0): Deprecated
onCustomConversationActionmethods. Instead, use the added props with the same names.
- Fixed an issue where the push notification tester in the TalkJS dashboard would not send out test push notifications correctly.
- Fixed a bug that would make the chat freeze when attaching multiple files at once.
- Fixed an issue where email changes on the Account settings page of the dashboard did not get updated correctly.
- Fixed a bug where, on iOS, Arabic characters would not get deleted properly when using the backspace key.
- Fixed an issue where a race condition occurred when selecting the inbox and setting the text of a message field at the same time.
- React Native SDK (version 0.7.0): Fixed a bug on iOS where videos in link previews would automatically play in full screen mode, instead of inline.
Fresh tutorials and guides
- How to add chat to a Laravel app with TalkJS
- How to use TalkJS to create a team chat with channels
- Chat moderation essentials
- How to add a GIF picker to your TalkJS chat
👋 Thoughts? Questions? Get in touch.
👩🏾💻We’re hiring! Check out our jobs page.